Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday goodies: Great-tailed grackle

I've shown my love for common birds already. I'm easy. A bird need not be exotic for me to love it, just gorgeous. And I think all birds are gorgeous. Today, grackles, Quiscalus mexicanus. Some people hate 'em. I think they're awesome. They're cacophonous and feisty, they're sometimes considered pests, though they're not introduced by humans (unlike house sparrows). They're widespread, but seem to be especially common out here. I swear they follow me. Some people get crows; I get grackles. I'll take it!

Enjoy:












What animal should I show off next? Sparrows? Spiders? Sp ... cactus wrens? Happy Monday, everyone.

9 comments:

Cindy said... Best Blogger Tips

Spiders, please! Or as my son would text, plsthx

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love grackles! Their sound reminds me of some of the most beautiful places I've been and they make me very happy. I'm glad someone else shares my opinion!

Thérèse said... Best Blogger Tips

I especially like their fierce eyes!
You sure know how to photograph them.

Gpabill said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely pictures. I fall in the "hate 'em" category I'm afraid...

Christina Wilsdon said... Best Blogger Tips

Love grackles! Great eyes. Cactus wrens, please! We don't have them here.

Barbara said... Best Blogger Tips

These are great. We're overrun by grackles, too, but you just gotta love them for that. Wonderful captures - especially love the first two!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Cindy: Oooh, definitely! Now I just have to figure out which spiders to show off.

Dragonflywoman: Yes. I do love their sound.

Thérèse: Thanks! Their eyes are awesome.

Bill: Aww, I thought you were a dove-hater! Grackles, too? :-)

Christina: Thanks! I definitely have some cactus wrens to share. Coming up!

Barbara: Thank you! They do provide plenty photo ops.

fuquinay said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't trust people who hate birds. I adore people who love them.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Leslie: I suspect Bill doesn't really hate them. He says so, sure, but I've seen photos of just about every type of bird on his stream. (Granted; except for grackles. Still, he says he hates doves and I seem to remember quite a few dove photos.) I'm onto him.

I'll carry on loving birds enough for a whole crowd of people, though. Grackles are hilariously, obnoxiously gorgeous.