Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'd rather have some other superpower



I took my son to the park yesterday for an hour or so. He hasn't ridden on those giant springy things for ages, but got the urge, so off he went, leaping onto a truck with eyes.

"Mom! Jump on that one and race me!" he squealed. No one else was there to get annoyed with a grown woman on the kiddie toys, so I obliged, climbing onto the nearest plastic animal. I didn't bother to check what animal it was, but I found out soon.

"Race me Mom! Ride you beaver!"

(Do I even need to add my commentary at this point?)

I kept it together, but then, about halfway through the "race":
"Mom! You're too big! Your legs go way down both sides of your beaver! But you're not doing it right. Make it go back and forth, like this:" (Here he demonstrated with his bouncy eye-car, making a loud "Unh Unh!" noise that attracted the attention of a passer-by. Which was great, because then the pièce de résistance had an audience.
He leaped off his eye-car, declaring the race over (won, of course, by him).

"But Mom almost won," he announced to the amused gentleman. "She has the fastest beaver ever."

More on recent expolits later. I'm going shopping with my son. I was going to pick up some hot dogs, but I'm not sure if I dare.

4 comments:

Steve said... Best Blogger Tips

OK, I'm definitely immature. I laughed the entire time I read this.

val said... Best Blogger Tips

Well, Kim
I don't think Steve is the only immature reader of your blog- I was laughing out loud!
On another note: When I got the dog, he was in bad shape. It seemed fitting to name him after a depression-era photographer....

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks to both of you, for reassuring me that I'm not the only immature (I like to think of it as "fun-loving") person knocking around.

I interviewed a park ranger recently, who began the interview by excitedly declaring "I couldn't believe my luck! I hadn't seen a beaver in the flesh in ages -- and there it was, right in front of me!"

I managed not to snicker, happily.

Val: Fitting name indeed, and I'm glad you were able to take him in. He sounds like a great dog.

c. said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying right now. Has anyone told you recently how funny you are, girl????

Gotta love it, sure, go ahead, pick up those hot dogs, who knows what else he'll give you to blog about.